[Cialug] DNS Hijacking

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Aug 6 09:46:22 CDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com>wrote:

>> I think it really may be that they're trying to help users.
>>

> The problem is, people typically don't like change.  Sure, it might be
> helpful to noobs, but to those who have seen the error page before and know
> how to handle it, a new page popping up could just confuse them.

People also don't like obscure error messages.

User testing has shown me (and others who have done user testing see this
too) that when you make things easier for beginners you make it easier for
everyone.

For example, if you mis-type a search phrase in google it could just say
"zero results found" (used to be the norm) but instead it says, "did you
mean..." and in fact it often displays three results for the "did you mean"
phrase.

I too have found the security warning in FF3+ to be very difficult.
Interestingly I made a screencast just yesterday of how to deal with it. I
think it is an outlier.

--
Matthew Nuzum