[Cialug] Jaunty?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Apr 24 13:44:22 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> You could probably build in load balancing along with mirror
> selection.  Akamai can do it.

Yes, but I can only do it at a very rudimentary level. I really don't
get any automatic communication from the mirrors. I know their
reported total bandwidth capacity and our mirror prober updates the
list of mirrors semi-daily or around release time about hourly. So
when we overload a mirror (or in some cases we've overloaded entire
countries) they automatically fall off the list of available mirrors.

So what I can do is if I determine a user is from German and there are
three mirrors in Germany, one with 10Gb/s, one with 2Gb/s and one with
1Gb/s I can weight it so that the 10G is 10x more likely to be
selected than the 1GB which is half as likely to show up as 2Gb.

It is not true load balancing though.

--
Matthew Nuzum