[Cialug] Jaunty?

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Fri Apr 24 13:04:21 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM, David Champion <dave at dchamp.net> wrote:
> Linux distros need to start using P2P for their update systems.
>
> Mandriva uses torrents for their .iso downloads, some people complain
> that it's not fast enough... but for a "small" commercial distro like
> them, it would be impossible for them to have enough bandwidth to run a
> conventional FTP or HTTP server for downloading all of those .iso
> images, especially since they've gone to a larger DVD image.

We don't flip the switch on ubuntu until there at least 60 high speed
mirrors with all the populated continents well represented. Starting
with 8.10 we did put the link to the torrents on the download page and
we do support them, but for usability reasons we don't promote them.

This summer we'll implement geoip to auto-detect a good mirror which
should simplify things and even out the bandwidth distribution.

That said, I downloaded the UNR image from a US mirror in 4 hours last
night so if you're still having problems try a different mirror.

--
Matthew Nuzum