[Cialug] Oracle buys Sun...

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Apr 20 12:59:30 CDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:
>> I think MySQL compliments Oracle and doesn't compete with Oracle so I
>> don't see Oracle killing MySQL. Oracle bought Innobase in 2005 which is
>> the creator of the InnoDB storage engine that MySQL can use.
>
> Well, Oracle can stop MySQL/Sun/Oracle employees from working on
> MySQL.  I don't follow MySQL development but I'd bet a number of the
> more active MySQL developers now work for Oracle.

I'm not worried about MySQL. Drizzle and MariaDB will fill the gaps if
O kills off MySQL. However there really isn't a product to fill in the
gap for OpenOffice.org.

I suspect that Oracle is trying to become more like IBM and wants to
have a more visible open source presence so will keep it going.

--
Matthew Nuzum