[Cialug] Meeting Ideas

jrnosee at gmail.com jrnosee at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 12:05:03 CDT 2009

A couple of meetings ago I believe it was asked if there were any topics
people would be interested in.  I know most of the group has been working in
Linux for some time, but it seems we've been getting new people in recently
and I'm a relative "n00b" myself.  I'm fairly comfortable moving about in
Ubuntu linux now as far as a desktop OS.  I've even stretched out a bit and
have gone beyond that to set up samba and have base apache and php
installs.  What I'd like to know is if we can cover some topics that may be
old hat to some, but very confusing to newer users.  I’m especially
interested in #2 below.  My wife has put an ultimatum out on shutting down
my $10/mo webhosting, so I’m trying to bring it in house, but I don’t know
how to replace the DNS services and some features offered by my current
host.

1.       Install and use of linux as a desktop os (replacing winblows)

a.       Verifying Hardware setup

                                                               i.      WiFi

                                                              ii.      Graphics
adapter

b.       Installing applications

                                                               i.      Office
replacement

                                                              ii.      iTunes
replacement

                                                            iii.      Outlook
replacement

1.       Inc. sync w/ mobile devices

                                                            iv.      Etc.

c.        Setting up preferences

d.       Remote access

e.        Gaming in linux (in brief)

f.        Etc

2.       Installing and configuring a Linux basic web server
(LAMP/XAMPP/etc)

a.       Linux Server install

b.       Apache install and basic configuration

c.        MySQL installation and tools (phpmyadmin?)

d.       PHP/Ruby/Rails/Perl/etc?

e.        Email POP3/IMAP/SMTP/other? Server

f.        DNS server

g.        Configuration of a-f.

                                                               i.      Perhaps
get recommendations for configuration tools and setup and use one of those?
i.e. Webmin.

h.       Log watching?

                                                               i.      Splunk
IT?

3.       Writing and compiling applications for Linux

a.       Scripting

b.       Console Applications

c.        X/GDM/KDE/other apps

d.       Web languages

e.        IDE’s

4.       Linux + old PC = …

a.       NAS

b.       Router

c.        Streaming Media Server

d.       ???

5.       Linux as a HTPC/Media Center (didn’t want to put this under “old
PC”)

a.       MythTV

b.       HDTV connections & graphics configuration

c.        LIRC

d.       LinuxMCE?

Would anyone else be interested in any of this?  I’d hate to waste the
group’s time if I’m the only one in need of some of this.  I was thinking #1
would be a good meeting after SFD.  We could try to set up the following
meeting in a larger space if possible and invite people who come to SFD to
come to the meeting for a more in-depth demonstration.