[Cialug] Truth in Advertising

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 05:52:50 CDT 2009

Windows Starter is a version of Windows 7 that will allow one to run
only three applications at a time.

"When you see Starter on netbooks, there are a lot of impressions that
it is limited," said Brad Brooks, corporate vice president for Windows
product marketing at Microsoft. "It's a pretty robust operating system
for customers at the price points we're giving it to them."

One wonders if Microsoft just creates value out of thin air.  Because
if value is based on the market, on available options and customer
wants, I can think of an operating system that *isn't* limited in that
way and is available at a much lower price point.  Ahem.

This reminds me of the Microsoft ad I saw many years back for 80%
discounts on Windows XP and Office XP for students.  It said, "Getting
software for any less would be illegal".

The most honest marketing I've seen Microsoft ever make was a joint
Microsoft/Novell flash ad that said "Novell Microsoft Present", and
then at the bottom, "Roll Over for More".

I'm not kidding!  I have images of both ads if you want to see.

--
Todd