[Cialug] Fedora 10 Networking

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 21:30:22 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:
> NetworkManager will ignore an interface if there is a
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* file for the interface that
> tells NetworkManager to ignore it (that's so you can switch back to
> the old-style networking if you needed/wanted to).  Try removing those
> files (but not ifcfg-lo) and restart the NetworkManager service.  Make
> sure that you do "service network stop" first and "chkconfig network
> off; chkconfig NetworkManager on"

I figured something out!  I edited
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0 to say
NM_CONTROLLED=yes.  It was set to no.  As soon as I :wq the little
NetworkManager icon picked up on it and gave me a bubble saying
connected.

*and* I do still have a connection.  We're gettin' somewhere, maybe.
I wonder if turning network on changed that setting, and then
switching back to NetworkManager failed to set it back.  I'm hesitant
to experiment.

--
Todd