[Cialug] [omaha] Google Datacenters

Claus cniesen at gmx.net
Tue Apr 14 10:24:25 CDT 2009

Todd Walton wrote:
> I was an electronics technician in a nuclear power plant for about
> five years.  But that was many years ago, and I seem to have lost most
> of it.  I only remember learning about this phenomenon in class, and
> comparing it to the same effect in water flow.  Water flow is higher
> around the edges of a pipe than in the center.

Your statement sounded odd to me so I had to ask my personal squeeze who
is an Engineer and works with fluid dynamics on a daily basis.  She
actually has a access to a pretty cool flow lab.  Anyway here is what
she had to say:

"No. In fact the opposite is true.  The velocity of the flow right next
to the pipe wall is virtually zero.  The lower the flow (or the higher
the viscosity), the farther in you have to go before the velocity of the
flow is at it's maximum."

   Claus