[Cialug] HP mini 1030NR review

Matt Stanton inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com
Sat Apr 11 16:56:18 CDT 2009

Until recently I didn't have a clue what a netbook was.  I've been
pretty behind the times in keeping up with computer hardware information
other than the nicer nVidia GPUs.  So, when I saw the other members of
the LUG at the meetings with those tiny little 'laptops', I just figured
they paid a lot of money for them.  I have always preferred to put my
money in my desktop machine, because I can always throw a couple of
computer parts at a desktop machine when it starts giving up on
performance... I can't afford to buy the fastest computer on the market
every year or two.  Anyway, I ended up finding out that these netbooks
are actually relatively cheap (by cheap, I mean I could buy one for just
a little bit over what I would spend on a new graphics card).

Well, I ended up getting the HP mini 1030NR from bestbuy.  It came with
a 16GB SSD, 10.2" widescreen display at 1024x600, wireless b/g wlan
card, the standard 1.6GHz atom processor, 3cell battery, and an addon
2GB flash drive that fits neatly into a little slot on the side.  Plus,
the HP minis are pleasing to look at.  It had XP home installed by
default, which I wasn't going to let stand.  I charged the battery while
I downloaded the Ubuntu Netbook Remix and loaded it onto a flash drive
with flashnul to make it bootable.

The UNR live 'cd' (or live flashdrive?) booted up nicely, and I liked
the way it utilized the small screen of the HP mini, so I wiped XP off
the SSD and installed it.  Everything works quite nicely.  UNR detected
and set up the wireless lan easily (using a broadcom restricted driver),
and everything but sound is working perfectly.

Now, the sound card works just fine.  I can plug my headphones into the
jack and hear everything.  The only real problem with the soundcard is
that I can't get the built-in speakers to play anything.  I suspect that
they would sound like crap, and the headphones I have are some nice Bose
deals, so there's no reason to complain unless there was a youtube video
or something that I wanted to show someone on the netbook.

I'd imagine that a much more versed linux geek would be able to get this
working with a little hacking around.  It seems from what I've found by
googling that the netbook speakers problem is fixed in 2.6.29, but
jaunty is rolling with 2.6.28.  Every time I've ever compiled a linux
kernel for a modern version of linux, I've managed to break a large
number of things, so I guess I'm waiting another 6 months.

Anyway, I give it 4.5 out of 5 thumbs up or stars or something.