[Cialug] TV->LAN Streaming?

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Thu Sep 25 14:56:18 CDT 2008

Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> It takes an a/v source and puts it onto a tv channel of your choosing
> that can then be watched on any tv in the house. So if you set it for
> channel 64 then just go to another tv, change to 64 and you're set.
> Get a rf remote extender and you can control your DVD from any room.

You can get cheap RF modulators at Wal-Mart or RadioShack though they
usually only modulate channels 3 and 4. I run the S-video out of my
computer into an RF modulator and then coax into the wall. Then in
another room I can see what is on the computer screen if I turn the TV
to channel 3. Note: I don't have cable/dish so I don't know how well
that would work if there were 2 different signals both on the channel 3
frequency. Then I use an iPod Touch as a WiFi remote by installing a VNC
client application on the iPod and and VNC server on the computer.
Another option if you are using VLC to play your media is to enable the
Web interface for VLC. Then just use any device with a web browser such
as a cell phone to control VLC player.

Eric