[Cialug] TV->LAN Streaming?

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Thu Sep 25 13:01:42 CDT 2008

I don't have the signal going to my computers, but I do have it going to
other TVs.  My house is wired for cable TV.  When I added satellite, I still
had cable modem, so they could not reuse the cable TV coax coming into the
house.  Previously, I had a cable run plugged into the "RF in" on my
standalone Tivo.  I moved it to the out, and made the necessary move on the
other end for the splitter.  I also added a signal amp between the Tivo and
the splitter, just to be safe.  Now, I can watch what ever is on my
standalone Tivo in every room of the house.  I also purchased an RF remote
so I could change the channels.  So my RF remote controls the Tivo, which
controls the DirecTV receiver via an IR blaster.  I don't know if your DVR
puts out a signal on the coax out.  If it does, you could do the same
thing.  Then the TV tuner cards in your computers would also be able to
receive the signal.

On an unrelated note, I saw this at geeks.com:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-01A&cm_mmc=geekmail-_-daily_html-_-25sep08_SEPHD-_-SEPHDproduct

It takes a laptop hard drive, and plays videos, mp3s, and pictures to a TV
or to a monitor.  Plus it is still a USB mass storage device.  Pretty cool.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Tim Perdue <tim06 at perdue.net> wrote:

> I know this isn't really a LUG question, but there's a lot of technophiles
> on here. Has anyone found a good way to 'stream' a TV channel through their
> house? I want to be able to pipe the output from my DVR over my LAN so I can
> watch it on my laptop and desktop. I don't really think a TV Tuner in each
> PC will work since I have satellite.
>
> I'm not sure slingbox really does this with live DVR output does it?

Tim