[Cialug] TV->LAN Streaming?

Tim Perdue tim06 at perdue.net
Thu Sep 25 13:01:14 CDT 2008

David Champion wrote:
> Wouldn't MythTV work for this as well?
>
> Also... since I know Tim has a PS3... anything that can do UPnP / DLNA
> streaming can potentially be accessed as a media stream on the PS3...
> with the caveat that the source has to be in a format that the PS3 can
> play. I've messed with this using MediaTomb, and the WinAmp media server
> thing.

I'm looking for minimal complexity so that rules out a mythtv box.
Someone somewhere has probably got a little svideo -> ethernet widget
that does what I have in mind.

The videolan project is probably the closest thing I'm finding so far,
but I need a pc with video input to make the stream server. Once that's
in place, this would be exactly what I want (watching a channel anywhere
on any PC/laptop)

I'm basically looking for a way to get CNBC on my laptop and desktop
with minimal headache ;-)

I can't believe NBC doesn't have that service.