[Cialug] raid arrays

Dan Hockey icepuck2k at mchsi.com
Fri Sep 19 22:23:07 CDT 2008

Recently I discovered the hard way the disadvantages of a raid 0 setup when
the number six drive died in a proliant 5500. That was mistake #1.
Mistake #2-I started moving drives around and that's when I really screwed
things up. The smart-2dh controller that ran things now complains that it
can't find any drives and that it needs to be reconfigured. I found a scsi
port on board and plugged the drives into that, after messing around for a
while, I know I have five good drives.
After googling around for several nights now I've figured out that need
something called a smartstart cd with all the setup utils on it. Thanks to
HP's rearranging of their web site all of the promising links I find no
longer exist. I did find an ftp that had smartstart-5.50-0 but after several
tries it appears to be a scrambled iso that doesn't work.
I did manage to reinstall 2k3 on one drive using the onboard controller and
windows now gives out individual drive letters for each drive. I'd like to
setup a mirrored raid but its looking like I can't with the onboard
controller.
Should I toss the smart-2dh and use thing better or keep looking for the
software to set it up right?
-dh