[Cialug] DVRs

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Sep 18 10:28:01 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Tim Champion <timchampion at gmail.com> wrote:
> I cheated. ... bought a TiVo. :)  Its not a geeky, but I highly recommend it
> as it is much less stressful, and the wife loves it. It's been running
> strong for something like 3 years, I think.

I'm worse... I formatted my mythtv box because my wife wouldn't use
it. I installed XP/MCE and she loved it. That was near 2 years ago
though so I suspect/hope the interface has improved. Going from myth
to mce makes you lose a lot of features (commercial skipping, web
interface, etc), plus the videos take up 50% more space, plus they're
drm'd. Now I use the Dish DVR which is less featureful and has one of
the crappiest interfaces I've ever seen. I guess that's my punishment
for switching away from myth.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode