[Cialug] hiding a publicly accessible database server

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Sep 11 14:10:21 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> Hi, I'm conceiving an application that would like to use a centralized
> postgres database. For my idea to work best it would be nice if the
> application could make a connection to the postgres server on demand
> without the user having to do anything. Yet I really don't want to put
> the database wide open to the web. So its a conundrum.

Have you looked into using client-side SSL certificates to
authenticate the connections?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/ssl-tcp.html

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"