[Cialug] Starting an LLC

Kenneth Younger kyounger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 12:49:51 CDT 2008

Lately and generally, S corps are the best method for setting up small
companies. They have all the advantages of a C corp, without having
the double-taxation issue. Generally, the only restriction is on the
number of employees you can have - and the last time I remember
discussing this with my Accounting prof, that maximum was like 50 - 75
or so.

There are all sorts of fun schemes you can set up for paying yourself
from the company, things like dividends (which are taxed at a lower
rate - sometimes). If you are good friends with any accountants or
lawyers that deal with these types of things, they would be the best
to talk to.

The only downside it generally provides is around tax time - filing
taxes when you set up these crazy structures can become baffling,
usually requiring a tax accountant to help.

-Kenny