[Cialug] Fwd: Wireless before the fact

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Sep 8 10:47:04 CDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> This is a rare occurrence - an OS's min requirements going down!

Actually I think it's going to become more common.  As people try and
get "standard" Linux distributions installed on smaller platforms like
cellphones, netbooks, and the OLPC XO they need to slim down the core
of the distribution to get it to fit within the constraints of those
systems.  The real challenge is to do that in a way that doesn't
compromise the features of the main distribution when installed on
more capable systems or add more work maintaining "forks" of core
packages like the kernel or glibc.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"