[Cialug] Moving Linux from one disk to another

Barry Von Ahsen barry at vonahsen.com
Sat Sep 6 16:53:41 CDT 2008

kristau wrote:
> This is the closest we've come to a flame war on this list in quite a
> while, I think.  And over rsync of all things?!
>
> My $0.02:
> * rsync is not a long-haul or low-bandwidth solution.  Shipping X GB
> of data across the country is better accomplished "Blues Brothers"
> style -- "It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas,
> half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
> Hit it."

I'm still finding this argument interesting - if I've got 200G of data
to ship across the country, and the transfer fails half-way with a
tarball, I've got to start over from zero, where with rsync, I only have
to start from half.  everyone found the -z flag, right (compress)?

fwiw, my incantation is "-avze ssh" (usually -avze 'ssh -o
$ssh_options'), though now I've learned about -P - thanks LUG :)

-barry