[Cialug] Moving Linux from one disk to another

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Sep 5 10:31:33 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
> I love rsync. I use it for backups on my home network by rsync'ing
> machines to a file server. I was a bit surprised to see it recommended
> for copying from one disk to another though. In my experience, rsync is
> wonderful for synchronizing large file sets where not much has changed.

I've used it for backup but also was surprised it was mentioned for a
disk-to-disk mirroring task. Does it deal with special files ok? like
/dev and named pipes. Are people doing this while the system is
running or are they doing it when booted from a live cd?

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode