[Cialug] Moving Linux from one disk to another

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Fri Sep 5 10:07:56 CDT 2008

I love rsync. I use it for backups on my home network by rsync'ing
machines to a file server. I was a bit surprised to see it recommended
for copying from one disk to another though. In my experience, rsync is
wonderful for synchronizing large file sets where not much has changed.
But for an initial copy it is very slow. I haven't objectively
benchmarked it recently, but it seems to take about twice as long as
tar or cp. Usually when adding a new machine to an rsync backup plan i
do the initial file copy using tar piped through an ssh connection, and
then use rsync for subsequent updates.