[Cialug] Free Codeweavers

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Tue Oct 28 18:41:59 CDT 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 6:15 PM, Todd Walton wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:24 AM, David Bierce <david at bierce.org>
>> wrote:
>>> I did it at about 7AM today and got it instantly...and the
>>> download went as
>>> fast as my 1.2Mbps pipe would take it.
>>
>> I got on at 6:30 or so this morning.  I got a serial, and I
>> downloaded
>> the shell script installer.  But it says I can't use it until I
>> register on the site.  Is that not correct?
>
> Good lord!  That is obscene!  This shell script *does* contain binary.
> Aren't there decency laws against that?

It's nice to know that some companies understand me -- as a linux user
I'd much rather just enter my root password and let a downloaded shell
script do whatever it wants. It's too much work to understand what
it's trying to do and grant it appropriate permissions.

--

I know other commercial packages do this, for a variety of moderately
valid reasons, but seriously -- I'm afraid package managers will do

	Zach