[Cialug] [OT] Security and the browser

Ralph Kessel ralphkessel75 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 14:52:42 CDT 2008

Linguist Benjamin Lee Whorf  made an observation during the 1930's that was collectively tagged the Whorf-Sapir hypothesis while working in an environment with drums filled with gasoline were not "flammable" but empty drums were. This to the view that linguistic/semantic factors determine how we view the world, eg the Eskimos/Inuit have over 20 words for snow. George Orwell, Adolph Hitler, and others  picked up this concept with "Newspeak".  Of course, our news media continuously pack new words and phrases into our language.  "Multi-tasking" had a very specific and precise meaning in computer science and now it is interpreted as doing anything at the same time. (Something impossible except under quantum mechanics).

Check it out in the Wikipedia under the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.