[Cialug] Old^H^H^H Ancient Hardware

Bill Davis bill.davis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 17:59:43 CDT 2008

Regarding #4:

4) Would anyone on this list care to prove these guys wrong (
http://64.223.189.234/node/640 ) by virtualizing OpenVMS in VMWare
or Xen?

Well sorta.   It's not really virtualization, it's emulation, but it's
liable to be faster than many of the VAXen or Alphas it'd replace.
Probably not the Intel Itanium-based VMS boxes available now, but....

I have SIMH set up and emulating a VAX running VMS on my Mac Book Pro.  Does
that count?   ;-)  It's almost certainly faster than the last VAXen I used 6
or 7 years ago.

SIMH is available for other OSes as well. And I suppose I could use VMWare
or Parallels or VirtualBox to run multiple copies of SIMH too...  Does that
count?

There are third-party commercial VAX and Alpha emulators that run on top of
Windows as well.  They are used for EXACTLY the same thing many
organizations use VMWare for - to consolidate (or replace) older slower
hardware on newer cheaper Windows/Linux server boxes. Virtualization via
emulation.

Wish I did have an Alpha lying around.  I'd hoped to get my hands on a
desktop Alpha when Morningstar bought out my old employer (Standard & Poor's
Fund Services) and closed us down last year, but I didn't get the chance.

 - Bill

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Josh More
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net>wrote:

> So, we've got a DEC Alpha 4100 that just lost it's CPU fan.
>
> 1) Would anyone on this list happen to have a 12-49995-01 kicking
> around?
>
> 2) Would anyone on this list happen to have a processor card or three
> that are compatible with the Alpha 4100?
>
> 3) Would anyone on this list happen to have an old VAX or Alpha laying
> about doing nothing buy causing your spouse/SO to complain every time
> they see it?
>
> 4) Would anyone on this list care to prove these guys wrong (
> http://64.223.189.234/node/640 ) by virtualizing OpenVMS in VMWare
> or Xen?
>
> 5) Would anyone on this list like to make fun of me for making this
> request shortly after extolling the virtues of legacy gaming systems on
> Linux?  :)
>

> -Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
>  morej at alliancetechnologies.net
>  515-245-7701