[Cialug] linksys wireless router

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Mon Oct 6 16:17:14 CDT 2008

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
>> I called Linksys support and they DO support if I pay $9/year?!?!? I
>> told them it's still under warranty but they still ask for
>> "support free"?!?
>>
>> They started charge for support from august this year.
>>
>> Any thoughts how to fix the router?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Afan
>>

> $9/Year Wow, that sounds EXACTLY like Cisco!  Good job Cisco you have completed your takeover of Linksys.
>
> It has been my experience that these boxes are made to last about 3 years and then mysteriously burn out.  Some do better than others, I think yours may have been a victim of statistics.  The radios do seem to "burn out".  If relishing the firmware doesn't do it, the box may be toast.

mmm... toast with relish.

If it's supported on your version of the WRT54G, might be a good time to
try OpenWRT.

I'm supposed to be getting a WRT54GL real soon now... might be willing
to sell my "practically brand new only been used for a week" WRT54G2 -
which works great, but doesn't support OpenWRT... although, might be a
good idea to keep it around as a spare.

-dc