[Cialug] Happy 17th b-day

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Mon Oct 6 13:34:23 CDT 2008

Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:54 PM, David Champion <dchampion at visionary.com> wrote:
>
>> One of these days... just for fun we should do an install of an early
>> version at a LUG meeting. The oldest version I have is my TransAmerictech
>> Slackware fall '94 CD.
>>

> Just be careful. Misconfiguring XF86 could damage your monitor.

Yep, I blew up a couple. That was kind of a rite of passage for early
Linux geeks - blowing up a CRT because you had the wrong xconfig. You
always had your hands posed over "ctrl-alt-backspace" after typing
"startx", and listened for the monitor to start squealing... usually if
you killed it fast enough the monitor wouldn't blow... unless it was a
cheap KFC or Samtron piece of junk.

-dc