[Cialug] resolvconf - good, bad or ugly?

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon Nov 24 17:37:17 CST 2008

On Nov 24, 2008, at 5:11 PM, David Champion wrote:

> So... my latest server update (to Mandriva 2009) includes the change
> to using the "resolvconf" script for maintaining /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> I recall the good old days when RedHat used the "awesome" program
> linuxconf to maintain configuration files. And by "awesome", I mean
> it overwrites config files for you and breaks stuff. The resolvconf
> script is similarly awesome.
>
> From what I can tell, the "proper" way for me to specify DNS servers
> is to add them to my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> script as:
> DNS1=dns1.server.ip.addr
> DNS2=dns2.server.ip.addr
>
> BTW, the man page for resolvconf is one of those esoteric man pages
> that talks about all kinds of junk except the pragmatic information
> one might need to actually USE it.
>
> Am I doing this right? Am I just being too grumpy? Is it really that
> hard to edit /etc/resolv.conf?

I can't tell you what Mandriva wants you to do; hopefully someone who
uses it can actually answer your question. But I feel your pain --
it's not that hard to maintain resolv.conf manually, and it's
sometimes quite difficult to make the distro stop overwriting any
manual configuration you try to do.

Which is why I gave up and wrote my own networking and DHCP-client
scripts. They're nothing fancy, but you're welcome to them if they'd
help you:

Simple bridging/bonding/network start/stop script and sample config
files:
	http://zinux.cynicbytrade.com/svn/release/2.12/runit/files/init.d/ethnet
	http://zinux.cynicbytrade.com/svn/release/2.12/etc/files/bondcfg
	http://zinux.cynicbytrade.com/svn/release/2.12/etc/files/bridgecfg
	http://zinux.cynicbytrade.com/svn/release/2.12/etc/files/ifcfg

DHCP script with alternate resolv.conf location and IPv4 iproute2
support:
	http://zinux.cynicbytrade.com/svn/release/2.12/dhcp/iproute2.diff

Zach