[Cialug] Which network adapter?

Theron Conrey theron.conrey at dice.com
Tue Nov 18 10:02:27 CST 2008

It's not comparable to VMware Player, It's in the same class as VMware's Workstation Product.  Player is a product to simply run a single VM.  Anyone looking for anything beyond turning on a VM and interaction with that VM should be looking at Workstation or VirtualBox.  VMware server is really staging itself to be a gateway drug to ESX, so it's use for desktops or for general VM hosting on a desktop is being minimized.

I'd say that it works just as well as VMware's workstation package.  I use it at home, while using VMware Workstation at work, both on a daily basis.  I haven't run into anything that I'd say either was so far ahead of the other that I'd recommend either on a technical level, however the pricetag is certainly better on VirtualBox.  There has been a noticeable improvement in the quality of VirtualBox since Sun acquired.... drawing a blank... innotek(?) the company that was making VirtualBox.

One leg up that I'd say that VirtualBox has is the seamless windowing of applications.  VMware's calls this Unity mode, and at least on Fedora and Ubuntu it works iffy.  YMMV.  It's bound to get better though as it's using the same codebase that Fusion uses, and on the mac the Unity mode is amazing.  Virtualbox has an easy way to enter seamless windowing and it works well on both Ubuntu and Fedora.

I'm not using unity/seamless mode very often in either, so this isn't a dealbreaker for me.

We use Workstation to allow for VMs created to be easily moved from desktops into QA or Test environments (on VMware ESX), as well as being able to have paid for support, but for me just doing general work, both do the trick.

-Theron