[Cialug] Which network adapter?

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 09:31:45 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
> wrote:

> Has anyone played with VirtualBox much? I have it on my main Linux box
> at home and it seems to work fairly well. It can emulate 4 different
> network adapters:
>
> PCnet-FAST II (Am79C970A)
> PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973)
> Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
> Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)

I run vbox constantly.  I use the Pro/1000 MT Desktop, and it works great
for me.  It could just be the power of suggestion, but it seems faster when
I'm sending a bunch of data between the host and guest.  I welcome
correction if anyone knows better.

NB: If you are following Matt's howto on setting up NAT, you will have to
adjust the directions for the Pro/1000.  Replace any occurrence of "pcnet"
with "e1000".  If you forget this, you'll get a cryptic message at startup
about not being able to get the MAC value.

- Nathan