[Cialug] Which network adapter?

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Tue Nov 18 08:44:11 CST 2008

Has anyone played with VirtualBox much? I have it on my main Linux box
at home and it seems to work fairly well. It can emulate 4 different
network adapters:

PCnet-FAST II (Am79C970A)
PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973)
Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)

"PCnet-FAST III" is the default, but i'm wondering which is the best
choice. That probably depends on the guest OS, which in my case could
be either Linux (usually Debian or Ubuntu) or Windows (XP SP3). Are any
of these particularly better or worse for either Linux or Windows
guests?