[Cialug] Linux Work - Debian

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Mon Nov 17 13:35:06 CST 2008

On Monday November 17 2008 13:19, Dave Weis wrote:
>I'm not sure what will show up on anyone else's screen but I laughed
> that a character set complaint had a mangled letter in fiance :-)

The accented e should have been fine as it is rather standard, but for
some reason the o with a macron (used in romaji) appears to have been
mangled. Both characters are in the UTF-8 set, so i'm not sure what the
problem was. Shows how much of a mess 8-bit encodings are, perhaps
lending credence to Josh's original grumble...