[Cialug] ssh oddness

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Tue Nov 11 15:31:06 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 03:24:26PM -0600, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> In the past when i'd ssh to a new machine an entry would get written to
> my ~/.ssh/known_hosts file of this basic form:
>
> hostname.mydomain.edu,10.1.2.3 ssh-rsa AAAAB3N<random gobbledygook>==
>
> But lately i get a much less useful entry that looks more like this:
>
> |1|<random gobbledygook>= ssh-rsa AAAAB3N<random gobbledygook>==
>
> and it is no longer possible to see which entry belongs to what machine.
> Any idea what might have changed to cause this, and how to change it
> back?

I'm betting your distro has changed to have the ssh_config
option HashKnownHosts on. Turning it off will prevent future
hashing of host names, although it won't unhash those already
hashed, of course.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/
Mathom House in Midtown, The People's Republic of Ames