[Cialug] Looking for a simple parallelization command

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 12:32:19 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:03 PM, John Lengeling <John.Lengeling at radisys.com
> wrote:

> I have a script which sequentially performs some operations across
> multiple databases.   Since this is running on a 32 core server, I would
> like to investigate running a number of these operations in parallel.
> Are there any simple utilities out there which when given a list of
> commands will run them parallel?

A very simple way to do this interactively is to open a bunch of tabs in
Konsole, and then set it to "send input to all sessions".  Obviously this
approach has a lot of drawbacks (requires a GUI), and might not fit your
needs.  But it's dirt cheap to try.

You might also be able to hack something up with dsh, the Distributed Shell.

- Nathan