[Cialug] irc proxy

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Nov 4 17:43:56 CST 2008

Geez guys, how about actually answering Matt's question?  It's like
someone asks for advice on what four-door sedan to buy, and all his
friends tell him to get either a pickup truck or a vespa.  ;)

Matt,

Try using miau ( http://miau.sourceforge.net/ ).  I used it for several
years and it does pretty much exactly what you describe, and it can
connect to multiple IRC networks.  When you reconnect, it will flood
your client up to the size of the buffer you set.  It also allows you to
connect multiple clients to it using the same /nick, which allows for
some very interesting abuses.  :)

It will not bridge protocols (until someone gets a Google summer of code
project to add that), so other IM systems are out, but it should fit
your stated needs very well.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 3:19 PM, chris <chris at ia.gov> wrote:

>> The IRC client I use is pidgin. What happens when you use this type
of
>> product and reconnect after a weekend, do you suddenly get flooded
>> with all of the backlog? Can anyone recommend a particular IRC proxy
>> can run on my own personal (Ubuntu 6.06) server?
>
> If you are willing to change clients, consider a combination of irssi
(or
> other console client) and screen.  I keep a perpetual connection to
freenode
> with it and never miss a beat.

I've tried to make the switch to text-based clients like irssi and
couldn't (or chose not to) do it. There are three reasons, one is that
I rely on audio notifications and the notification area icon. Another
reason is that I recently switched to pidgin from xchat because I just
disliked having different applications that do about the same thing.
Plus the learning curve is too high. I'm so busy lately that I don't
have time to learn a completely new paradigm.

I'm really happy with pidgin, I'm thinking of something more along the
lines of this:
http://andy.wordpress.com/2008/09/29/detachable-irc-proxy-dircproxy/
but it seems like there are numerous choices and I'm not feeling brave
enough to go into the unknown at the moment.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode