[Cialug] irc proxy

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:44:03 CST 2008

I have been known to use Finch, the text based libpurple application.
libpurple is the back end for pidgin, and thus pretty much what ever pidgin
supports, there is a text version of it. It even is able to use your .purple
config files from pidgin, and import your settigns, screen names, and saved
passwords (if you use them).

Jeff Chapin

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 3:25 PM, David Champion <dchampion at visionary.com>wrote:

> Nathan Stien wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
>>

>>> A couple times a year I wish I could disconnect from IRC and not miss
>>> interesting things going on. I've heard of IRC proxies and the way I
>>> understand it, they allow your nic to remain connected all the time
>>> and your client connects and disconnects from the proxy at will. While
>>> disconnected the proxy shows you as away (or something) and when you
>>> re-connected you somehow catch-up with what you missed.
>>>

>> I want this for other chat networks too.  AIM/Jabber/etc.
>>
>> Like screen(1) for chat.
>>

> I use pork as my aim client in a screen session. It works pretty well.
>
> http://dev.ojnk.net/
>
> -dc

Jeff Chapin
President, CedarLug, retired
President, UNIPC, "I'll get around to it"
President, UNI Scuba Club
Senator, NISG, retired