[Cialug] Masters and Slaves

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Mon Nov 3 10:04:10 CST 2008

Actually, I've heard both, which probably explains so much confusion.  The
"latest" thing I heard was to put the master as close to the motherboard as
possible.  The thought behind it is less cable for the data to travel will
give you faster transfer rates.

I've also heard that the matching of drive speeds only matters if you're
reading/writing from/to both at the same time.  So if you have an optical
drive as your slave on the same channel as your hard drive, and you're
installing an app, listening to a CD (or, uh, "backing up" a DVD), then you
should put your optical drive on a different channel, if at all possible.
Otherwise, it doesn't make any difference.  Wikipedia seems to agree with
that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu>wrote:

> On Sunday November 2 2008 22:18, David Champion wrote:
> >If so... the best way to make it work is to jumper the drives to
> > Master and Slave, put the Master drive on the middle connector, and
> > the Slave drive on the end connector.
>
> Reverse that--master goes on the end of the cable, slave in the middle.
> And if one of the drives is a hard disk and the other is an optical
> drive, make the optical drive slave. Some OSes (older versions of
> OpenBSD, for instance) don't work with an optical drive as a master.

Tim