[Cialug] Masters and Slaves

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Sun Nov 2 22:18:07 CST 2008

Todd Walton wrote:
> Why this master and slave set up with IDE?  Why does it have it and
> why is it that when my drive is jumpered to slave, but I put it on the
> end of the cable, the computer refuses to boot?

> Okay, ten minutes later I see that the new SATA does not have these
> worries.  Thank goodness.
>
> -todd

Aside from all of the other conversation... were you actually looking
for practical advice on how to make a master / slave PATA drive setup work?

If so... the best way to make it work is to jumper the drives to Master
and Slave, put the Master drive on the middle connector, and the Slave
drive on the end connector.

It's been my experience that "Cable Select" mode mostly only works with
drives by the same manufacturer, and sometimes only from a similar
generation of drives.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some things - like DMA mode, may
be determined by the least common denominator on that cable - so if you
have an Ultra 133 hard drive on the same cable as your old slow cdrom
drive, they'll both run at the slower rate.

-dc