[Cialug] Masters and Slaves

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Sat Nov 1 18:42:34 CDT 2008

On Nov 1, 2008, at 5:26 PM, Colin Burnett wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I see that the new SATA does not have these worries.
>
> Right, because SATA is point-to-point where as PATA is a shared bus
> [of only 2 devices] so no arbitration/addressing is needed.

That's only half true. While SATA is generally used as a point-to-
point connection, with port multipliers most HBAs allow up to 16 nodes
per channel. The shared-bus architecture is purely unidirectional
though -- the controller can see all 16 nodes but the other nodes can
only see the controller.

	Zach