[Cialug] Looking for training on Linux/Apache server

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Sat Nov 1 12:02:52 CDT 2008

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for.  There is a
small amount of entry-level training for LAMP, but, as with most of open
source, once you get to the mid level, there are so many different ways
to do things that training just doesn't make much sense.

I recommend that you embark on a course of self study.  Set up a server
and start playing with it.  Try different configurations and read
different books as you go.  I strongly recommend getting a Safari
subscription ( http://safari.oreilly.com/ ), so you can read many
different books as you go through the process.  I recommend picking at
least one book for the Linux foundation, I like Michael Jang's RHCE prep
guide, but that (like all of them) is distro-specific, so pick whatever
makes sense to you.

I also recommend:

* Apache Security
* Apache Cookbook
* The MySQL Reference Manual
* High Performance MySQL
* Programming Perl
* Programming PHP
* Perl Cookbook
* PHP Cookbook
* Postgresql (not the O'Reilly one, the New Riders one)

There are some good Ruby/Rails books out there too, but there isn't
really a solid standard for deploying Rails apps, so you might want to
hold off on that.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Chris Lukenbill" <chris.lukenbill at gmail.com> 10/31/08 7:12 PM >>>
 I posted the following question to LinkedIn and received a reference to
this
mailing list as good source of information on this subject:

I am looking for mid to advanced level linux/apache server admin
training in
the upper midwest US. I'm a LAMP developer and would like to increase my
knowledge in this area. Anyone have suggestions of good training
facilities
in the area?
More specifically I am from Rochester, MN (just south of Minneapolis/St.
Paul) and would be interested in anything as far away as Chicago for a
training facility.  I would also be interested in online courses.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give and your time,

Chris