[Cialug] tornado-proofing your data?

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Thu May 29 09:58:34 CDT 2008

I dunno what I was thinking when I typed horizontal, its a vertical
rotor.

There is a lot of conflicting research out there. I made two differant
types of shrouded rotors and connected them in one "frame". The top
rotor is a Savonius rotor and the bottom rotor is paddle rotor. I used
the two differant types so I could do my own testing regarding the
efficiency.

Generally speaking the "engineer" types say the Savonius is in-efficient
and slow moving. However, it develops a lot of torque in low speed winds
and does well in "dirty" wind. (gusty wind that changes directions) This
means its well suited for standing vertically on the ground.  I didn't
want to mess around with a 8 ft prop on top of a 50ft tower. The
downside is that this "device" is large. Its 4ft wide, by 18ft tall. I
had to put wheels on it so I could move it around the shop.

Eliminating the tower reduces your cost by 30-50% and eliminates a ton
of hassle. Adding the shrouds to the rotor almost doubles the efficiency
making them as efficient as the horizontal prop types.

I still have yet to figure how to collect wind speed data using a linux
box. Anyone know of some Linux software that collects data from a serial
port and dumps it into a .csv file? At the moment, I take the .csv file
from a windows box, copy it onto a thumb drive, carry it over to a linux
box and import the data into a Mysql database.

___
Dave J. Hala Jr.
President OSIS, Inc.
www.osis.us