[Cialug] tornado-proofing your data?

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Tue May 27 11:30:06 CDT 2008

In all seriousness, here is what I have done in the past:

Every 3-6 months or so I use tools to archive my files --
1) in the past I used winrar, just because that is what I started with.
I make 500MB output files, with a decent amount of recovery built in,
since winrar allows this.
2) I use additional tools to make parity files -- sort of like how RAID
works. I tend to make enough parity files to allow me to lose a decent
number of the 500MB files and still recover.

3) I burn a few of the original 500MB rar files, and a few of the .par
files onto each DVD -- since I am fairly crazy, I tend to burn each file
onto 2 seperate DVDs in each set. I also throw a copy of winrar and the
par creator and a little "howto recover" document into the free space on
each DVD.

4) I leave a copy of these files offsite -- at my parents house.  In the
past, I also have left a copy of these with my nerdiest friend --
someone I believe skilled enough to recover if I am no longer around.
Now that I am getting a safe deposit box, I might keep a copy there.

Now, in all honesty, this is probably really overkill, but I also only
do this with my digital pictures -- something that would be impossible
to recover after a serious fire or disaster, and I would miss them. It
is work the 4 DVDs a shot to feel decently safe about this. Since I have
2 copies of each .rar file, I can lose 1/2 the disks to damage and still
recover, even with the parity files not coming into play. I am
moderately concerned about bit-rot and having my DVDs become unreliable
over time.

I may be looking at doing this in a Windows friendly, OSS fashion in the
near future, possibly even scripting it, and making it so that I have
less manual intervention, and am more likely to do regular, offsite backups.

Now, if it was a business's data I was worried about, I would work out
an actually DR plan, complete with offsite data, etc.

Jeff the over-killing-paranoid-freak