[Cialug] Testing a Processor

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon May 26 09:13:58 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Pentium 4 3.0GHz LGA 775 processor that I suspect is bad.
> How can I find out if it is?  I tried it on two motherboards and I get
> the same bad results.  But I had the same memory and case at the time.
>  So I don't actually *know* that it's bad, and processors are not
> cheap.

Well, I have had two instances where there was something wrong with
the case that caused the motherboard/computer to be unreliable.
Possibly not enough clearance or some other mysterious problem and
simply replacing the case resolved it. That was quite rare though. (I
used to work for a white-box computer builder and we turned out scads
of PCs so 2 out of countless builds is quite a low %)

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode