[Cialug] NIC teaming

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Wed May 14 16:15:02 CDT 2008

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> Anyone teaming nics/bonding nics under Linux?  Did you realize any measurable advantage by doing it?  Any Gotchas?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Nate

I have used it in the past, primarily for high availability. We were
able to stream data to/from our server and reboot the switches it was
connected to and not miss a beat.  I never tested the bandwidth
advantages, but presumably the guy that configured the Ciscos for this
enabled aggregation so that we would have been running at 2*100Mbit to
any other machine configured on those switches.

Later on I managed a few VMWare ESX boxes that used bonded nics and
iSCSI and it *seemed* much happier when both nics were plugged in.

My 2 cents.

Jeff Chapin