[Cialug] install help on Dell Inspiron 1100

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue May 13 12:42:25 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Kendall Bailey <krbailey at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Trying to start
>  the installer opens a window but that window stays blank white for up
>  to an hour, while the CD drive grinds away in a rythmic pattern.
>
>  I had an old Ubuntu 5.04 Live CD and that runs pretty smoothly, after
>
>  p.s. Specs I know: 256MB Ram, 2.4GHz Celeron, 20GB hard drive.  XP
>  Home is installed and runs OK after I removed the anti-virus.

Since around 7.04 Ubuntu needs 384M of RAM to run off the live CD. Try
the alternate CD as Nathan mentioned or you can use the 6.06 live CD
and do an LTS to LTS upgrade from 6.06 to 8.04. I've run 8.04 beta on
256M of RAM and it was fine. Once installed and running if you feel
performance is too slow then you can use an alternate desktop like
xfce.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode