[Cialug] denyhosts logging LOTS of attacks

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue May 13 12:22:53 CDT 2008

True, but it doesn't improve security, it just reduces the number of
random stumblers.

I suggest disabling remote SSH login for root and locking down SSH to
version 2 and key-based access only.  I also run DenyHosts to limit the
traffic.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Dave Crouse" <crouse at usalug.net> 05/13/08 12:16 PM >>>
I never run ssh on the standard port 22 anymore..... changing the port
number alone will significantly reduce the number of logged attacks.

Dave Crouse