[Cialug] Traffic Analysis, etc

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu May 8 06:50:18 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 6:13 AM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> What kind of software (on a router box) would I use to monitor the
>  network traffic coming through and generate reports about how much
>  bandwidth was used by one source vs another?

What kind of router?  A Linux box or a commercial hardware router?  If
it's a Linux box I'd recommend ntop[1]. If you have a hardware router
is capable of exporting NetFlow data I'd look at either ntop[1] or
flow-tools[2].  If your hardware router isn't capable of exporting
NetFlow data I'd recommend sticking a Linux box in transparent
bridging mode in front of the router and using ntop[1].

[1] http://www.ntop.org/
[2] http://www.splintered.net/sw/flow-tools/

Jeff