[Cialug] another phone

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 11:59:36 CDT 2008

When I had a landline of my own, the first two things I did was turn off
the ringer, and put a message on the answering machine letting people
know to email me if it was urgent, and that I only checked the answering
machine every couple of days.

I absolutely hated getting phone calls when I was doing something I felt
was important to respond to other people when it was convenient to them,
and have to drop what I was doing to see what it was they wanted and how
important it was to me.

Phones in general always seemed sort of rude to me, and the advent of
easier screening methods have only made it less so. Screening, to me, is
all about being accommodating to both people to 'negotiate' a mutually
convenient time to talk.

Jeff