[Cialug] Grub Error 18

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Sun Mar 30 12:53:21 CDT 2008

On Mar 30, 2008, at 5:20 AM, Deepan wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have installed Fedora on Macbook. It works fine
> when I boot it in native mode. However, when I
> boot it via parallels, I get the following error.
> Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum
> supported by BIOS.  I do understand that this
> error is thrown when Grub tries to read an address
> beyond the end of BIOS translated area. Is this a
> problem with Grub or BIOS ? My boot partition is
> the first partition.

Officially that error means that you're booting a drive over 1024
cylinders in CHS mode, and that you should turn LBA mode on. But
assuming you've got a motherboard less than 100 years old, and/or have
already turned on LBA mode:

Check that you're reading GRUB off the drive you think you are -- the
system will read the MBR off the first drive that has one based on the
BIOS boot order you selected. A common culprit here is USB drives, as
the BIOS may be set to boot from removable drives first, but USB
drives are unlikely to show up as /dev/xda after booting. This is one
of the reasons it's recommended that you install GRUB in BIOS mode
rather than after booting, because once booted GRUB can't always tell
what the BIOS drive order will be.

Also some SCSI cards are known to have bad INT 13 support, which
requires that you *disable* INT 13/LBA for the SCSI drive and boot out
of the first 1024 cylinders. Again this is mostly and issue in older
systems that assumed CHS mode by default, but if you've got a SCSI
card it's worth checking.

Or you could convince the consumer motherboard world to stop with this
ridiculous BIOS thing and install a pre-boot environment that's less
than 27 years old and actually supports named drive trees and can be
extended to read actual file systems, at which point grub would be
largely unneeded. But that may take more time and effort than you're
willing to put into fixing a bootloader problem.

	Zach