[Cialug] cell phones with wifi

Don Cady doncady at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 11:32:01 CDT 2008

2008/3/26 Bill Davis <bill.davis at gmail.com>:
> For Web browsing and Google Maps and other Internet related things like
> e-mail, I'm EXTREMELY pleased with my iPhone.  I use the heck out of the
> internet access for browsing, email, Google maps, and more.
>
> The monthly bill is for "unlimited" Internet access is $18 more expensive
> than what I paid AT&T for my Motorola RAZR with VERY limited (and almost
> useless) internet access.
>
> As a contrast to that, I'd recommend AGAINST a Palm Treo cell phone.  I say
> that because  I'd used the WiFi stuff on my Palm TX and the Palm web browser
> (same as on the Treo) was what convinced me NOT to get a Palm Treo cell
> phone instead of an iPhone.   It's not anywhere close to a full browswer.
> Note that I've used Palm units for years.  I tried some other Palm based
> browsers too.  All junk.  Web browsing on the Palm is absolute garbage.
> Email is adequate.  Google Maps IS available and not too bad, but the screen
> on the Treo is smaller than the iPhone.  On the plus side, you can probably
> get some SSH or other clients easily for the Treo.  You can get 'em for the
> iPhone too, but you must "hack" the phone to install them at present.   The
> hacking process is all one-step GUI-based, however. I haven't tried it
> myself, but it looks slick.  I'm thinking about doing it.
>
> The iPhone's browser is OS X Safari, based on the Konqueror (sp?) engine
> that is probably familiar to Linux folk.  I believe that the Konqueror
> engine is used in another cell phone/brand as well but I cannot recall the
> brand/model at the moment. A bit of Googling will probably find it for you.
<snip>

Nokia may be who you were thinking of, as they ported Webkit to
symbian for their phones. Andriod is using Webkit so far for it's
browser too, so you've got Symbian, Android, and iPhones all running a
version of webkit, which will soon pass Acid3.
hmmm... who's left out?  <g>

Things look up for web apps with mobile phones in mind.

Don