[Cialug] cell phones with wifi

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Mar 26 11:08:55 CDT 2008

Hi, a while back I saw talk about cell phones that had wifi built in.
My cell phone died (it went through the laundry). I've wished for a
phone that wasn't too expensive that could do a little more than just
be a phone. I'd like to be able to surf the web (for doing maps,
reading wikipedia or the news etc, view/edit google calendar) when in
wifi range.

Can anyone recommend a phone? I'm not positive but it looks like the
tmobile blackberry curve 8320 can. As an added benefit it looks like
it can use voip when you're at home to avoid using cell phone min,
though I don't know if that's worth $10/mo as little as I use the
phone.

I guess the only reason I ask for wifi is because I'm almost always
near it. However maybe there's some innovative service that gives
ubiquitous internet access that is very inexpensive. However this will
be a phone first and foremost.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode