[Cialug] Kubuntu install problem

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Wed Jun 11 10:15:19 CDT 2008

> It sounds like your problem is primarily with GRUB.

I assume so.

> But you might consider just reinstalling from scratch.  If you do, use
Kubuntu 8.04.

Is there somewhere here down town that I could get / borrow a copy of an
8.04 disk?  I live in the country and only have a 24K phone line.

Thanks for the info on the designation of disk drives.  Mine are IDE, so
that would make them hda and hdb.

> I'm not sure what the screens look like or what words it uses, but you
can tell the installer to use your unallocated 300G of space and have it
create its own partitions so you don't have to think about it.

There were automatic and manual radio buttons and I chose manual.  I
didn't want it to think that it could use the 7G of supposedly
unallocated space on the hda since that's where I think that Windows
hides it install disks.  I didn't know that there was a way to point it
to the spare space on hdb.

If I redo the install, do I need to delete the partitions that I
created?

This wouldn't happen to be the Wednesday of the month that there is a
meeting?  My church is having VBS this week so there is no prayer
meeting to attend, so I could actually come this week.  (Assuming that
we can get across the river.)

Murray McKee
Operating Systems Engineer
WFFIS - Wells Fargo Financial Information Systems
800 Walnut Street
MAC F4030-037
Des Moines, IA 50309-3605
WORK (515)557-6127 Cell (515) 890-9660  FAX (515) 557-6046
MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com
"This message may contain confidential and / or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein.  If you have received this
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation."